YOU can take the next step!
At the Memphis Zoo we are proud to work with Polar Bears
International to bring attention to the effects climate change is having on
polar bears and other arctic creatures.
As humans we are all contributing to climate change. The measure of how much you are contributing is called your carbon footprint. We all need to make our carbon footprint smaller. When we promise to do something that we weren’t doing before to reduce our carbon footprint and help the polar bears, we call this Taking the Next Step. Alone it would be hard to do enough to help, but if I commit to Taking the Next Step, and you commit to Taking the Next Step, and then we get all of our friends to Take the Next Step, just think of the difference that we can make together!
Here are some ideas of steps that we can all take to reduce our carbon footprint:
- Turn the heat down two degrees in the winter and the air conditioning up two degrees in the summer
- Use reusable water bottles instead of drinking from plastic bottles
- Turn your car off instead of idling in lines or drive-thrus
- Walk, bike, or carpool to school or work
- Turn off the lights, stereo, and computer when not in use
- Recycle paper, plastic, glass, cell phones, computers and other household items
- Make the switch to green power through your utility company
- Say no to plastic bags and use reusable bags when shopping
- Eat at least one additional meatless meal per week
- Take your lunch in a reusable container instead of using a bag each day
- Change light bulbs to CFL bulbs
- Conserve water by only running your dishwasher if you have a full load or by turning the tap off when I brush my teeth
Take the Next Step
Complete this form to let us know what extra step you will
take to help the polar bears and send us photos of you Taking
the Next Step. We will track our progress and occasionally send you an
e-newsletter to give you more information about climate change. You might even
see your own photo included in a future newsletter.